Technology Company Child Theme
Installing a child theme for your WordPress website is easier than you might think. This article will walk you through how to create and install a Technology Company Child Theme.
Installing & Using Divi
In this section we will help you get started with the Divi parent theme, from installation through finding your way around and getting further information and help. The Divi documentation from Elegant Themes is impressive and very easy to follow.
If you haven’t used Divi at all before, we recommend starting right here.
1.Divi Documentation & Support Forums
Elegant Themes has comprehensive Divi Theme Documentation, with sections on Basics, Modules, Library, Theme and Module Customizers and Additional Features.
If you don’t find what you need there, check out their Divi Support Forum in the members area, where you can open a ticket if you haven’t found the answer you’re looking for.
Take a look at the Elegant Themes blog with its Divi Resources tag.
Divi Chat podcast is an excellent source to tune into if you’re interested in learning what others in the community are doing.
There are also quite a few Divi Facebook Groups. Take a look at our list of the most active Divi Theme Facebook groups. Check them out to learn what others are doing in the Divi Community.
2. Installing Divi
Here’s the official Divi installation video by Elegant Themes.
3. Divi Basics
- If you haven’t used Divi before we highly recommend you watch this video by Elegant Themes, which introduces the Divi Builder and will help you understand the basic principles of the Divi page builder.
- Working with Divi Builder is quick and easy, but you can still find yourself spinning your wheels trying to learn everything, if you prefer little more guidance then the Divi Basics section of the Elegant Themes Divi Documentation area has excellent walkthroughs that will give you a thorough overview.
Installing Your Child Theme Using The Installer Plugin
Our one-step install creates a perfect replica of the demo site, complete with pages, posts, images, menus and more.
Note: Because the demo data includes all of those things, please check the boxes to indicate which parts of the demo site you wish to install.
1. Download & Unzip File
- Your download can be found in your Account Area (client account) under Downloads. Click DOWNLOAD and the zip file will download to your computer.
- The file is called UNZIPME – NAME OF YOUR THEME KIT.zip. Use your computer’s search function with your template name if you don’t know where it went, but it’s probably in your Downloads area.
- Now unzip the file – as you can see from the name we have given to the download file, this is a step that is often missed in the excitement.
To unzip on a Mac it’s Right click > Open or double click. On a PC Right click > Extract. Some computers are set to auto unzip on download, in which case jump straight to look at your files.
Inside the unzipped folder, you will find the installable theme zip file (name of your theme-installer.zip) , an instructions file that links to this area and any additional plugins and design files included with your product.
2. Upload The Theme Installer Plugin To The Plugin Area
- In the dashboard area of your website, hover over the Plugins item in the left hand menu then select Add New.
- Once the Add Plugins page has loaded click on the Upload Plugin button towards the top of the page.
- Now locate the name of your theme-installer.zip file and click the Install Now button.
- There may be a slight delay as the plugin is uploaded but once the process has finished you will be presented with the below screen. Click on the Activate Plugin button.
- On activating the plugin a new menu item called name of your theme Installer will be added towards the bottom of the left hand dashboard menu. Click on it to continue to the next theme setup step.
- The below screen should now appear which allows you to choose what data and templates you would like to include in your installation. Click on the toggles to turn options on and off as you work down the screen. If you are not sure just leave all the toggle options as they are and keep scrolling until you reach the bottom of the page.
- When you are happy with all your toggle settings and get to the bottom of the page, click on the Begin Site Import! button to move to the next stage of the installation.
- The black progress bar will move towards 100% as the theme and all it’s accompanying files are uploaded. Once this process is finished you will see the below screen. Well done, you’ve successfully installed your new theme.